Sunday, August 24, 2008

TIL/ SESAME SEED LADDU



Til is the ingredient listed as the highest source of Calcium by the USDA. 3.53 ozs or 100 gms by weight contains 975 mg of calcium!
As soon as I read that, I started a search for recipes using a lot of til.
The ones I found on the Net were for til chikki.
Then I thought of the festivals and my mother's recipes and came across this easy, 'quick as you can grind' one.
So this is my third entry for Sangeeth's Eat Healthy: Calcium Rich contest.
(anyone guessed by now I'm trying to win the cash prize for my 'end world hunger program', that this blog was started for?).
This is the old entry in my cookbook in 1978, word for word.

Clean, wash and dry 1 cup til.
Fry till it splutters.
Grind coarse.
Add 3/4 cup jaggery.
Mix well.
Shape into balls

What can be easier than this?
It is so easy it got me heading for the kitchen.

Here are my notes to add to the old recipe.

(I used black but please use brown til).
Fry stirring constantly till you will see little bits of til literally start jumping in the pan.
Grind coarse.
Add 3/4 cup grated jaggery...I had to heat the lumps of jaggery to get them warm and then slice with a knife.
Remember jaggery in the microwave heats from the inside out so do not overheat.
(I know they used to pound everything in India,and that made it come together, but the warm jaggery shaved off the lumps is fine and pliable. If it isn't heat very slightly.
Mix well the ground til mixture and shape immediately.
I liked the one I made with a little ground cardamom added to it but HD (Hubby Dearest) liked the traditional one better.
It tastes good.

No comments: