Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Mango Trifle



This is my entry for Mango Mingle, organized by Meeta of What's For Lunch, Honey?
An easy dessert, anyone can make.

The Kent mangoes from Mexico, which are the closest to the Indian Badami, and my favorite, are just coming out and not ripe enough, so I had to settle for Manila Mangoes from the Phillipines for this event.

I first learned to make Pineapple Trifle in my high school cooking class. It was an instant hit at home and my mother encouraged me to make it for parties. One mango season when the house was filled with the heady aroma of ripe mangoes, I substituted mangoes for canned pineapple in the trifle and that was so delicious.

Here's the recipe:

1 store bought angel food cake (Mine was in a big bundt pan so I used some and froze the rest).
6 really ripe sweet mangoes, peeled, cut and cubed.
1 cup mango,or pineapple juice. (any juice you think goes with mango is fine here).
1 6 oz container fat-free whipped cream.

For the custard I used my blancmange recipe below, using 5 cups milk, 5 dessert spoons sugar (I used sugar instead of Splenda here, as kids were going to have the trifle too), 5 rounded dessertspoons cornstarch and BOTH almond and vanilla essence.
Shortuct: Use instant pudding mix.
I remove the custard from the stove, before it gets too thick.
I do this for trifle only as I want to pour the custard and let the cake soak in it.

Slice cake and layer a glass bowl or individual dessert bowls with it.
Some people melt jam and spread it over the cake at this stage...I don't.
Pour just enough juice to soak the cake...don't drown the cake in juice.
For the juice: If I have really good ripe mangoes I squeeze one or two into pulp and use that. If the mangoes are not that juicy I just use canned/bottled juice.
Place fruit over cake in a single layer.
Pour custard over cake.
Here again some people use a layer of whipped cream...I don't.
My home made custard is still warm when I pour it on so it would melt the whipped cream layer and...
As a diabetic I make all my desserts as light as possible.
Repeat layers: cake, juice, fruit, custard.
If this is your last layer, set the bowl in the refrigerator for 4-6 hours, to chill the trifle thoroughly.
If you're in a hurry, use the instant pudding which is mixed with cold milk, pre-chill your fruit and your juice, and you can omit the chilling step.
Put a layer of whipped cream on top of the final layer and decorate with a few pieces of reserved mango and some nuts or cherries...let your imagination be your guide.
I drizzled half a tsp of melted strawberry jam for color contrast on top.

Using Splenda and non-fat milk in the custard, and fat free whipped cream, and limiting myself to one serving of the trifle, makes it a perfectly satisfying diabetic dessert. Mangoes are high in sugar, so I made myself a little bowl (above)
with less of everything and still got to enjoy it.

Optional: sometimes I use a cap full of sherry/cointreau/liquer over the cake layer.
British trifles, served at Army dinners in India,long after Independence, always had a hint of alcohol in them...I guess that was the reason I always felt so happy after trifle and it is still one of my favorite desserts.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

This dessert sounds so cool and refreshing for the summer. My son adores mangoes, and I know he would love to eat this!

whitefieldbb@gmail.com said...

Thanks hon...the little man did enjoy the dessert when I brought some over.