Tuesday, October 13, 2015

September's Tomato Chutney.
Did you know September is fruit and vegetable month in the USA? I saw this mentioned in an article yesterday, so before September is over:
Please name your favorite 1. fruit and 2. veggie recipe.
I can get away with tomato chutney as its a veggie that's a fruit!
How do you tell if its a veggie or a fruit: the Internet says 'if it has seeds, its a fruit." Well, all my veggies has seeds or are the seed of the plant except for spinach/greens/mushrooms but that's discussion or another day.
One of HD's great loves in the world of food is tomatoes, so when my neighbor came over with tomatoes from her garden (2 large ones and a bowl of cherry tomatoes...yes its still warm enough for the tomato plants to keep producing), I made the chutney that was a favorite on my mother's table at breakfast time. I didn't tell HD about the cherry tomatoes being incorporated in the dish as he's a food 'purist' and for some recipes wants exactly what was used in the past/original recipe with none of my 'let's try something new' methods....but I digress.
He loved it and I just smiled all evening. 
Thanks to Donna Pinto mentioning her mother's recipe...I remembered I had yet to post this.
Tomato Chutney
4 Tomatoes, cubed.
1 onion chopped.
1/2 Tbsp grated ginger.
Rai, jeera, hing, karipata.
Haldi, chilli powder or chopped green chillies, salt.
Chopped coriander.
Heat 1 Tbsp oil, season rai, jeera, hing and karipata.
Fry onion till light golden brown, add tomatoes, ginger, haldi, chill powder/chopped green chilies and salt.
Let it cook till semi thick. (The more guests that showed up without warning for breakfast in India, the more watery this chutney became.)
Top of with chopped coriander or incorporate the coriander while cooking tomatoes.
We had it for breakfast with parathas in India, but it goes with any type of roti/dosa. I thicken the leftover and have it as a sandwich filling with cheese or cream cheese the next day for lunch...satisfies my Indian taste buds.
Quick, simple, very tasty.

No comments: